Accused of theft, what do I do?

Question Details:I worked for a company and resigned immediately once I found out they were trying to cheat the IRS. 3 months later they have accused me of stealing a check, signing it and depositing it into my bank account. I have checked all my accounts and nothing has been paid in. They sent me a copy of the check with the bank stamp and threatened to lay criminal charges. Where do I start to protect myself here, someone is obviously trying to set me up and make me loose my new job.

Asked 5 years ago under Criminal Defense | 830 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

The first thing you should do is consult a criminal defense attorney in your area. The fact that they are threatening to press criminal charges against you is serious. But you also need an attorney who can follow the "evidence trail" in your case. If you haven't deposited a check or no check has been deposited into your account, then you need to find out if the company's copy of the check with a bank stamp is falsified or fake. You also need to have a record of all your bank activities. You need further protection in case they are trying to set you up as retaliation for resigning from the company. Lastly, you want to make sure that you don't have a black mark against you for future employment.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 923 Answers | Points 46130 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor