Can a 16 year old change a joint custody agreement?

Question Details:My daughter sometimes does not want to visit with father, who has not been around for almost 2 years. How can I make a 16 your old to do what she does not want to do? Can the she refuse to go with him? Can the police make her go even if she refuses?

Asked 3 years ago under Child Custody, Support, Adoption | 748 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
M.T.G., Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 3 years ago

You are in a very difficult position since it will appear that you ar the one that is not complying with the agreement, yet in reality it is your daughter.  What you can do is to bring an action to modify the custody and visitation agreement and your daughter can testify as to why she does not wish to visit any longer.  The reasons can not be that he is stricter or no "fun."  They have to be well thought out "grown up" reasons.  If she fees that he has been absent from her life and shows no interest at all then she needs to express that to a Judge.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 70 Answers | Points 650 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 550 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor