Can I collect unemployment while waiting for a comp claim to go to court?

Question Details:I tore a bicep from my forearm at work. Small contractor is denying my comp claim even though he was the one who sent me for acute care. I am a bricklayer, need surgery, also need to pay bills. Will be off for at least 6 months. He won't even call back the acute care doctors now with referal from his insurance panel.

Asked 3 years ago under Employment and Labor | 638 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
Timothy Brennan Answered 3 years ago This Allentown, PA attorney is licensed in Pennsylvania

Many people due collect unemployment compensation while waiting for or receiving workers compensation. However, you should know that the insurer will be entited to a credit against any compensation you would be entitled to for the weeks you are on unemployment compensation. You should be very clear in providing notice of the injury to your supervisor at your employment, you must give notice within 120 days of the injury. If the insurer wrongfully withholds benefits, you may also be entitled to benefits. You should definately consider filing a worker compensation claim and/or hiring a workers compensation attorney.

Timothy P. Brennan, Esq.

Brennan Law Offices

2030 Tilghman Street, Suite 203

Allentown, PA 18104



Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the States of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor