Can I modify my child support stipulation agreement?

Question Details:I am have a a rough time getting my child support stipulation agreement modified. This is the second downward modification that I have. I am not making the same amount of money as before. The judge basically told me I can't modify it. Is this correct? What can I do? I am deeper into debt just paying the areas I owed.

Asked 2 years ago under Child Custody, Support, Adoption | 832 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
E.M., Member, California Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 2 years ago

Under state statutes in this country, one's child support obligations are based upon one's net monthly disposable income as set forth in each party's filed income and expense declaration with attached documentation.

If your income per month is on a steady decline based upon economic conditions and lack of salary increase, you should be able to modify your monthly child support obligations. However, if you do not have a family law attorney representing you in such a task, getting the results that you desire could very well be difficult.

As such, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in your endeavor if you do not have one presently representing you.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 917 Answers | Points 45830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor