How can I collect on my divorce decree for amounts over and above child support?

Question Details:When my ex-husband and I divorced 10 years ago, I asked for my student loans to be paid and a credit card bill. These amounts are part of the signed decree. I have yet to receive any of this money. How do I go about collecting it?

Asked 5 years ago under Collections and Debt | 1459 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

Collecting on a judgment is often the hardest part of the case, for civil lawsuits in general and all too often in divorces.  Chasing this man down may or may not be possible; there's a very good chance that an attorney can more than earn his or her fee on a case like this, if the amount owed is substantial.  After all, two-thirds of something, after attorney's fee takes the other third, is still more than 100% of nothing, or even of half as much "something".

You'll probably have to go to the divorce court, on a motion on notice to the ex-husband, asking for a judgment that you can execute on in due course (such as garnishing his wages).

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 937 Answers | Points 700 Platinum Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 250 Gold Contributor
  • Anne Brady 937 Answers | Points 46830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor