How can I fight garnishment without filing bankruptcy?

Question Details:If the garnishment happens I will not be able to pay my rent, get gas or get food for my 2 children, I am pregnant and my husband is unemployed. I don't know how to fight it. I wasn't given enough notice to file some type of answer. The letter was dated almost 2 months ago but I just got the letter in the mail 3 days ago. The lawyers for the credit card won't work with me and they are doubling the amount I originally owed claiming interest and fees. I also make too much to be considered poverty level to get free legal aid, yet nowhere near enough to be able to hire a lawyer!

Asked 3 years ago under Collections and Debt | 636 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
MD, Member, California Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 3 years ago

You should contact your local consumer protection agency and file a complaint against the creditor with the state attorney general.  If the matter is regarding a credit card, file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau and still file a court answer claiming failure to properly serve. Ask the court to dismiss/throw out the matter because service was ineffective, improper. 

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 68 Answers | Points 600 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 550 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor