How can I get a petty theft charge expunged or sealed off my record?

Question Details:I was in the store with someone who was caught stealing and got charged with petty theft back in 2004. I have did my parole and paid all my fines and court cost and I have not gotten into any trouble since then. This is my first charge of petty theft. I get denied for jobs because of this charge and want to know what I can do to fix it. In Orlando, FL.

Asked 5 years ago under Criminal Defense | 4588 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

You need to go online line and locate an application for expungement in FL.  These applications can be found on the judicial website in most states or may be requested from the state's attorney's office in the county that went to court on this charge.  This is the type of crime that is able to be expunged, which is good news for you.  I suggest that you hire a lawyer to help you fill out and submit the application to make sure that it is well written and what the state is generally looking for.  You want to make this application the best you can so that the charges can be erased from your record and you will be able to be hired for jobs and earn a living.  The investment of hiring a lawyer is well worth it.

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 68 Answers | Points 600 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 550 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor