If I am a homeowner, can I rent my yard out for people to have yard sales or birthday parties?

Question Details:Would my hoe owners insurance cover me if someone got hurt? Would I be in violation of any laws if there is no commerce in my neighborhood?

Asked 3 years ago under Real Estate | 468 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
SJZ, Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 3 years ago

1) Legally you may rent out your own land so long as your municipal zoning laws do not preclude the intended use; the best way way to know what is or is not allowed would be to speak with the building or clerk's office at your town or city hall first, then double check by reviewing the appropriate ordinances (which they can point you to)--ideally with an attorney's help, but you could do this yourself.

2) It is almost certainly the case that your current homeowner's insurance would not cover commercial activities on your land. Homeowner's insurance generally only covers residential uses; you can and should double check the policy (the policy is a contract; it covers exactly what it says it does), but it is likely you will need to buy different or additional insurance.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 937 Answers | Points 700 Platinum Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 250 Gold Contributor
  • Anne Brady 937 Answers | Points 46830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor