What do I do to keep a retail fraud charge off my record?

Asked 5 years ago under Criminal Defense | 1939 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
Austin Hirschhorn Answered 5 years ago

You need to consult with a lawyer because depending on your prior criminal record and age there may be ways to prevent you from ending up with a criminal record.

If there is a conviction and it is the only one on your record there is a possibility of having the conviction expunged if five years go by and you have no other convictions.

Brian Dailey | Dailey Law Firm PC Answered 5 years ago This Detroit , MI attorney is licensed in Michigan

Hello and thanks for the email question. There are many options that may allow you to enter a plea of guilty to this charge and keep it off your record. However, I need far more facts than you have provided to me in your short email. I need to know your age, the amount alleged to have been taken from the retailer, whether you are charged with a felony or misdemeanor and the particular court you have been charged in.

Should you need additional information please call me Brian Dailey, www.daileylawyers.com 248 744 5005. You can also log on to my website www.thelawshow.com and listen to one of the many podcasts from my weekly radio show airing on newstalk760 wjr am the great voice of the great lakes every sunday from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.

We have handled many of these charges and have been quite successful at keeping these charges off our client's records.

Brian Dailey

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

Well, you can nothing until the case is finished with.  Then, depending on the outcome, you can attempt to have the matter "expunged" or erased from your record.  But it really all depends on the outcome.  Cases that are dismissed are easier to have expunged.  In cases where you are found guilty or plead to a lesser charge and have probation or a sentence, you will have to complete the sentence and then sometimes wait a certain period of time to apply for "expungement" if you permitted at all.

Your next step is to get a lawyer. You need to insure that you are going in the right direction for the outcome you ultimately want.  Good luck.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor