If my ex had child support reduced because he lost his job but I found out he has been working again, can I get retroactive support for the kids?

Asked 1 year ago under Divorce, Marriage, Alimony | 111 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
S.L,. Member, California Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 1 year ago

The amount of child support is based on income.  You can request an increase in child support since your ex found another job and the increase in child support can be retroactive to the date the new job started.

To request a modification of child support, file an Order to Show Cause (court form) and your supporting declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your request for the modification.  File these documents with the court with a proof of service and serve a copy of your documents by mail on your ex.  When you file an Order to Show Cause, the court will schedule a hearing on this issue.

You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are at least eighteen years of age and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to ___________ (name and address of your ex) on __________ (date).  You sign and date the proof of service at the bottom.  The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Maury Beaulier 286 Answers | Points 2250 Gold Contributor
  • Anne Brady 734 Answers | Points 750 Platinum Contributor
  • Theresa Langford 12 Answers | Points 550 Bronze Contributor
  • Richard Southard 188 Answers | Points 340 Silver Contributor
  • Shawn Jackson 84 Answers | Points 300 Silver Contributor
  • Nick Best 3 Answers | Points 150
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 734 Answers | Points 36680 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor