Is HOA responsible for damage to home caused by poor drainage in common area?

Question Details:We live in a townhouse, 5 homes in the row. We also live on a hill and every time it rains our backyard floods, 4-6 inches standing water. The majority of the water is coming off the hill which is maintained by the HOA, it is common area. Well this water found its way into our home, caused $5,000 worth of damage.
I want the HOA to install french drain at base of hill. Is this a reasonable request since the hill is the problem and it is common area. FYI, all the homes in the row have standing water when it rains.
The HOA wants to pick up only 25% of the cost .

Asked 2 years ago under Real Estate | 875 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
E.M., Member, California Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 2 years ago

Under the laws of all states in this country, the developer and contractor for your developement would be primarily responsible for the costs of repair for the water damage that you have written about assuming the claim would not be barred by your state's statute of limitations.

After that, assuming the problem lies with a common area issue, the HOA would be responsible for the repairs through its insurance policy assuming there is coverage. If not, then the HOA is on the hook.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 917 Answers | Points 45830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor