Is there a statue of limitations for taking my ex-husband back to court to get half of his military retirment?

Question Details:I had been married to my ex husband for 20 years during that time he was in the military. I want to know if I can take him back to court to get half of his retirement?

Asked 2 years ago under Divorce, Marriage, Alimony | 414 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
E.M., Member, California Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 2 years ago

If gthere is a martial dissolution agreement and judgment between you and your former husband you need to carefully read the documents to see if the court retains jurisdiction with respect to the division of the assets and liabilities of your former marriage.

If the judgment does not state that the court retains jurisdiction over your marital settlement then you cannot go back to court and seek a portion of your former husband's military retirement.

If it does and there is no time period for the court retaining jurisdiction over your dissolution, you can. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney with respect to your matter.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 922 Answers | Points 46080 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor