What are my estranged husband's financial responsibilities to me in Lackawanna County, Penssylvania?

Question Details:My husband of 33 years walked out on me over a year ago. I am paying all the bills in our house and keeping up on the mortgage which is over a $1000 a month. When he left he took nothing, not even a toothbrush. He went to live with his girlfriend. I need money to keep up the house. Could I start selling some of his things? He has no contact with me or our 2 daughters (34 and 23). I am having a hard time keeping up with the house. When I get finish paying the bills, I have no money left to even go to the movies. I am also paying my parent plus loans .

Asked 5 years ago under Divorce, Marriage, Alimony | 3298 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

I suggest that you file for divorce.  This way, you can seek alimony payments from your husband and you will be able to have more income.  Given the time of the marriage (33 years), you are likely entitled to some alimony.  This will be based on a number of things, but mainly, yours and his economic situations.  Your husband should not be able to get way with not paying you here.  I suggest that you hire a lawyer immediately to help you file for a divorce and seek alimony payments.  If you cannot afford a lawyer, then there may be legal aid (free lawyers) that can help you at the court house.  You need to go and ask how to use legal aid and file for divorce.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Anne Brady 933 Answers | Points 500 Platinum Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 933 Answers | Points 46630 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor