If my son's court date keeps getting postponed, what can he do?

Question Details:My son has a DUI arrest in another state. This occurred 9 months ago. His court date keeps getting postponed. He's lost his job and his license. How long can this go on; he needs to move on? He refused the breathalizer test; he received his first DUI 4 years ago.

Asked 2 years ago under DUI / DWI | 2046 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 2 years ago

Depending on the caseload of the court where his case is pending, it can take anywhere from six months to two years for any given criminal case to reach final resolution.  Many states, however, do recognize the right to speedy trial.  If he wants to try to expedite his case, he should file a motion for speedy trial.  However, before invoking this right, he should make sure that he is ready for a trial.  Many defendants invoke this and then balk when they are actually set asking for more time to hire an attorney--- judges are less receptive to continuances after a motion for speedy trial. 

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 917 Answers | Points 45830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor