How to overturn a family court order?

Question Details:I have a court order saying that my children will attend school in the town were I live for the new school year. This was made after I moved and my ex-spouse filed a motion to stop me from doing so after I moved. He has threatned me with taking me back to court to have this overturned. It is my understanding that he would have to file an appeal, however he had 45 days to do so. And that time has passed. Is that correct ?

Asked 3 years ago under Child Custody, Support, Adoption | 1085 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
Brad Micklin | The Micklin Law Group Answered 3 years ago This Nutley, NJ attorney is licensed in New Jersey

Yes, an appeal must be filed within 45 days.  A motion to extend the filing date can be filed but it must be filed within the same 45 days.  Otherwise, he should be barred from filing an appeal.  

Moreover, if he wanted the original judge to reconsider the decision, he had to file that motion within 20 days.  There is no way to extend this 20 day period.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 68 Answers | Points 600 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 550 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor