Can criminal charges be filed for a stop payment on a rent check?

Question Details:My wife gave landlord rent check for last half last month and all of this month (although we moved mid-month). No notice; we just moved. We stopped payment on the check.

Asked 4 years ago under Landlord / Tenant | 1903 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
SJZ, Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 4 years ago

Stopping payment on a check is a crime--as opposed to "merely" a basis to potentially be sued--if it is done with criminal intent--e.g. an intent to not pay just or lawful debts. So if you owe the money to the landlord because you moved without providing notice--and you know you owe the money--it is possible that stopping the payment could constitute a crime. Moreover, even if, at the end of the day, your wife would not be convicted, it's possible that at the least that charges could initially be pressed against her, if there is enough, at first glance, for the authorities to conclude that your wife knowingly passed a check she did not intend to pay.

Whether the landlord will bother contacting the authorities and/or suing is a different story; alot depends on how much you owe, how much he/she/it can get from your security deposit, etc.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Gregory Abbott 72 Answers | Points 700 Bronze Contributor
  • Terence Fenelon 226 Answers | Points 600 Gold Contributor
  • Joanna Mitchell 11 Answers | Points 450 Bronze Contributor
  • Maury Beaulier 322 Answers | Points 450 Gold Contributor
  • Christine Socrates 17 Answers | Points 400 Bronze Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 400 Platinum Contributor
  • Anne Brady 931 Answers | Points 46530 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor