What can happen to someone that is being accused of touching a minor inappropriately?

Question Details:I have a friend who is being accused of trying to touch a minor inappropriately. He was drinking at the time and does not have any recollection of this event. The minor's parents called the police. He has a clean record. Can you tell me if he has anything to worry about and what could happen to him. Does he need to speak with a criminal defense attoreny? In Butler County, PA.

Asked 4 years ago under Criminal Defense | 3620 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
SJZ, Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 4 years ago

Yes, your friends should consult with a defence attorney IMMEDIATELY. Inappropriate touching of a minor can be a sexual assault or offense, with the severity depending on the exact circumstances (his age, her age, how touched, etc.). Being drunk is NO defense whatsoever to this, or indeed, any crime. Furthermore, in addition to the "normal" penalities that could come with any criminal conviction, being convicted of a sexual offense can result in being listed a sexual offender, which can have far-reaching and long-lasting effects on employment and residence. Hopefully, if no harm was done, nothing will come of this; but it's better to consult with an attorney, get advice, and have a laywer ready to help.

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 917 Answers | Points 45830 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor