What do I do when my co-power of attorney is stealing money?

Question Details:My sister and I have co-power of attorney over our mother who has dementia. My sister lives much closer to mom, so she is doing the finances - paying the bills on line. While visiting my mother and taking her to the bank, I got a printout of recent activity and discovered my sister has been paying her personal credit cards from my mom's account. What can I do about this?

Asked 5 years ago under Wills, Trusts, Probate | 1138 Views | More Legal Topics

Are you an attorney? Sign up to answer this question.
M.T.G., Member, New York Bar | FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney Answered 5 years ago

Generally, a General Power of Attorney has broad powers to act on behalf of a person.   This can include bringing suit against someone who is misusing funds of the person.  It may be time to do more than just be a co-power of attorney for Mom.  If your mother is not mentally competent to cancel the POA or create a new one then the next step is twofold: a guardianship to create your legal authority to act on behalf of your mother and a temporary restraining order to stop your sister. Either way you need legal help on this.  Retain an attorney in your area as soon as possible. 

Attorney Quick Finder

Top Ranking Attorneys

  • Anne Brady 923 Answers | Points 46130 Platinum Contributor
  • Kevin Bessant 741 Answers | Points 37030 Platinum Contributor
  • Hong Shen 568 Answers | Points 28400 Platinum Contributor
  • Catherine Blackburn 566 Answers | Points 27770 Platinum Contributor
  • Victor Waid 522 Answers | Points 26060 Platinum Contributor
  • Tricia Dwyer 480 Answers | Points 22150 Gold Contributor