Can we counter-sue for lost wages and indirect costs if the party who sued us did not show up to court?

Question Details: My wife and I are landlords from out of state. After our tenents moved out of our home. We used their security deposit to cover repairs and refunded the rest but they sued us for the entire amount. We took off work, drove 4 hours, paid for copies proving our case and showed up for court. However, they didn't show up so the case was dismissed without prejudice. Can we counter-sue for lost wages?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.