How to obtain a divorce for non-U.S. residents outside the States?

Question Details: I and my partner were married in the U.S. 9 years ago. We both are non-U.S. citizens and left the States for 5 years. We separated for years and really want to obtain a divorce. I checked some article online which said that there is a residency requirement for filing a divorce petition. Is there any way for me to file for divorce outside the States or hire someone to do so?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.