What is my recourse regarding damage from a leak caused by my upstairs neighbor's toilet?

Question Details: My upstairs neighbor's toilet was leaking around wax ring area. The leak caused my bathroom ceiling to sink. There was no sign of water damage. We called emergency hotline to get HOA plumber to check. It turns out the accumulated water put weight on the ceiling and almost collapsed eventually. Facing a hefty bill from the HOA, my neighbor was pleading our negligence saying we didn't report the issue in time. The unit is under my name but daily occupied by my parents no rental relationship, I came over to visit a few days each month. My parent called me for help as soon as they noticed the ceiling issue. Somehow my neighbor consider it is my parents fault and threatening to sue them or me in small claim court. It is ridiculous. The HOA gave me the choices to either go with the HOA's master insurance policy and let them to subrogate I would be forced to accept whatever comes out of it or file the claim with my insurance company, in which case I will be $1000 less for sure from the deductible. I am looking forward to seek solutions to enforce them to pay for the full damage including the deductible and other inconvenience caused by the incident as the bathroom is useable and has been sealed for repair for over 10 days, not to mention noise from the restoration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.