What can I do if a guest refuses to leave my house?

Question Details: I have owned my house for 24 years; mine is the only name on the mortgage, deed and title. I have a man who stayed here as a house guest; he was never considered a tenant nor ever had a lease with me. I told him that he had 30 days to pack up and leave my house for good but he refuses to leave. I have already signed an agreement of sale to sell my house. This man has said to me that I am not going to be able to have anyone come into the house. This man has commented to me on more than one occasion that once I happen to walk out of my house, he will have 4 of his friends, all ex-cons, destroy things inside the house and to baracade themselves inside on the day the new owners come to take possession. I have told this man that he doesn't have the right to not leave. I told him that I have to leave as well. However, he keeps saying to me that he is not leaving and has rights. This man believes that he can legally be a squatter. I am not abandoning my house; I am selling it. There are no rights to him to be a squatter. Is there anything that can be done to legally get him to leave or have him removed by the police? I tried to have him removed a few months ago when he was verbally fighting with me. However, the police told me that he had a pair of shoes here which shows that he has residence here. I kept saying that this man is not a resident or a tenant. The police wouldn't take him out of my house. I refuse to get eviction paperwork because this man was never a tenant. I don't want to give him any kind of paperwork thar may serve his plan of squatting. Can anyone help me?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.