What can I do if a repair shop is not returning my computer and phone, both of which are used to run my business?

Question Details: About6 months ago, I took my expensive laptop to a local computer shop for a screen replacement. I run my business from it and it contains sensitive data. When I took it for repair the computer worked but had lost the touch function because of a crack on the screen. After several failed attempts at replacing the screen, 4 months later, they allegedly sent it out to the manufacturer for further repair without asking for my permission. In the meantime, I have had to buy another computer. I still do not have the original computer. Last week the owner stopped answering my calls/messages. He said that they do not know when the manufacturer will finish the work and that I simply have to wait. At the same time, I had brought to them my phone for a screen replacement. It is my business phone which is unlocked for international use. It has a dual SIM as I need a U.S. number as well as an E.U. number. They tried fixing it but after a month the screen stopped working. They said it needed to be glued back. Now it does not work and they still have it. They gave me an inexpensive replacement phone but I am not able to get the work related E.U. calls. Besides the data and replacement costs this has caused me loss of work. What are my legal options? What can be done to get the computer repair shop to offer a settlement in order to avoid a lawsuit?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.