Can I achieve a legal divorce from my separated wife, who resides with our 2 children in Japan?

Question Details: I am a U.S. citizen living in Japan. I am married to a Japanese national (legally separated for several years) and have 2 children. My wife refuses divorce but I’d like to obtain a legal divorce, at least in the U.S., to get on with my own life. Can I legally divorce my wife in my home state after establishing residency? Even if my wife resides in Japan, will there be any difficulties or issues occuring with serving the papers and getting a reply? Will legal divorce in the US officially change my marital status in the US? Finally, how long might the process take?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.