Can we sue an ex-wife for harassment/defamation of character for continual false child abuse allegations?

Question Details:

My ex-wife has made 10 alleged reports of child abuse on my over the last 5 years (we have been divorced that long). It was a messy divorce and she ended up loosing the kids; I got placement. She continues to make allegations of child abuse so she can get the children back. After 10 reports of unsubstantiated allegations and her reporting all around town that my new wife and I abuse our children, we are fed up. Can we sue her for harassment/defamation of character?

Answered 6 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.