Can you sue a physician for causing a pain pill addiction?

Question Details:

I had a gall bladder attack; a severe one. The surgeon said I needed surgery immediately. The problem was that I didn't have $10,000 up front for the operation so she medicated me for 2 years on Percocet. Inow have cyclic nausea and vomiting. While I was on the pain killer, I had 2 bowel obstructions. She finallydid the surgery. Should I speak with a medical malpractice attorney? 

Answered 4 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.