How do I sell my house with a court judgment of record against me? 

Question Details:

I need to sell my home. Due to unpaid credit cards I have judgements against me.  I thought that means my title isn't clear but then a friend said TX has some sort of homestead exemption. Do I have to pay the creditors to get a clear title before I sell the home? Can the money be escrowed at closing? Can hiring a lawyer help? I'm in Houston, TX.

Answered 5 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.