How to get my daughter's father's parental rights terminated since he's currently serving a life sentence for crimes he committed against her?

Question Details: I was designated residential parent and legal custodian shortly after conviction and I left the state before sentencing. I have since started over with my children, gotten remarried and we have moved past this nightmare. My husband wants to adopt my children. In the case of my son's father, I need to have his parental rights terminated. I am wondering if I can have them terminated based on his conviction and if so, can I do it in the state that I reside in or do I need to return to the county and state that incarcerated him and granted me custody?

David Axinn / David M Axinn Answered 7 years ago | Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.