If I am divorced, how can I get my name off a mortgage that is damaging my credit?

Question Details:

My ex and I divorced almost 5 years ago. He gave me money for my equity in the house and I signed the deed over to him. He had told me that he needed the deed in his name to refinance the house. He was unable to refinance the house and has been unable to do so. I would like the house out of my name especially since I don't even know how to contact him and he has been late on at least 4 payments in the past year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.