To get a deferred judgment, do I plead not quilty or guilty?

Question Details: I was caught with stealing from a retail store; it was for under $100. I have never been in trouble before. I was not arrested just told I had to show up for court. I know I did it and they have it on tape but I was told if I ever want it off my record and want a deferred judgment I need to plead not guilty on my first court date. I have not gone to court yet but go this week, I can't find any lawyer or legal advice since I do not live in that county. I do not know what to do; I only know I commited the crime but I want it off my record if possible with a deferred judgment.

Answered 4 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.