As between a Waiver of Service versus. an Answer, which one will keep a spouse from getting served and still require both signatures to finalize the divorce?

Question Details: We have one child together and have agreed upon terms of a divorce; she is going to file the petition. She wants me to sign a waiver of service so she doesn't have to pay to have me served. Do I still get to sign the final decree for the divorce to be final? Also, if I go an file an answer to the divorce after she files the petition can this act as notification to the court? I want to make sure that I have the option of not signing the final decree and getting an attorney if anything changes on the court date.

Answered 4 years ago| Contributor
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to and retain an attorney to represent you.