Whom do I list as the defendant in a small claims suit when a former landlord turned a bill over to a collections agency?

Question Details:

I received a bill in excess of the security deposit for an apartment I had leased which ended 2 years ago. I immediately contested this amount with the landlord, but did not receive a response or another bill. 20 months later I received a notice from a colletions agency for this bill. I contested it again and filed a complaint with WI Consumer Protection. They determined the landlord to be non-compliant with the WI statutes. I want to take them to small claims court but need to know who I list as the defendant. Would it be the original landlord, the collection agency or both?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you go to AttorneyPages.com and retain an attorney to represent you.